Since early 2010 this website is no longer being supported. It remains online purely as an archived resource.


Can my parents claim benefits for me?

Your parents will have been getting Child Benefit for you throughout your childhood. This normally stops once you finish full-time compulsory education after age 16.

If, however, you continue in full-time, non-advanced education, either at school or a college, your parents can continue to claim Child Benefit until you reach your 19th birthday. Child Benefit is not payable if the course is advanced, for example a degree course or above GNVQ level 3.

If you are aged 16 or 17, and have left school or college but are still waiting to be placed in work or training, your parents may be able to apply for Child Benefit to be extended for a short while. But you must have registered for work or training with the Careers or Connexions Service.

Your parents may also be entitled to Child Tax Credit if you are under 16, or under 18 and in full-time education.

Can I claim benefits for my child?

Yes, you can claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit if you are responsible for a child who lives with you. You may also be able to claim if the child does not live with you, but you are responsible for maintaining them financially.

Claim Child Benefit as soon as your child is born or comes to live with you; otherwise, you may lose benefit.

'Further information'


Why not try…

JSAJSA complicationsHousing benefitMaternity leavePaternity leaveSick pay

Yahoo! Student Zone

The Citizenship Foundation is not responsible for the content of external internet sites