Since early 2010 this website is no longer being supported. It remains online purely as an archived resource.

How to complain

There are a series of steps you can take if you can't get satisfaction at any stage:

Go to the trader and tell them what's wrong. Be assertive, not angry and don't lose control. Traders will often sort things out on the spot and agree a replacement, refund, repair or compensation.

  1. Ask to speak to a manager.
  2. Write a letter to the shop and send a copy to their head office. Mention the Sale of Goods Act. Don't be afraid to use the law to support your case. Keep a record of what you have done and keep copies of any letters sent or received.
  3. Write to the manufacturer if a product is involved.
  4. Seek help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
  5. In the case of misleading descriptions, safety issues and prices, take your complaint to the local Trading Standards Office. They can take a trader to court.

For contact details see 'Further information'.


Why not try…

Shopping rights Taking actionE-shoppingBuying overseas goods

Yahoo! Student Zone

Finding a good deal

The Citizenship Foundation is not responsible for the content of external internet sites